Event Permits


For your health and safety, certain events require an alcohol permit issued by the UC Police Department (UCPD) and/or a food permit issued by the campus Environment, Health & Safety (EH&S) office. Depending on the details of the event, additional permits may also be required for security, assembly and fire safety.

To apply for a permit you must be a member of UC Berkeley faculty, staff or registered student group.

As of March 2016, all event permit requests can be submitted in one online form to the UC Berkeley Office of Environment, Health and Safety for the entire event. Once you have submitted this form, all required event permits will be approved or denied by the relevant authorities. If you are unsure about which permits will be required for your event, this form is the way to go.

Apply for all permits using the Special Event Permits Online Form

Alcohol Permits

If you plan to serve alcohol at an event you must obtain a campus Alcoholic Beverages Permit. To be valid this permit must be approved by the University of California Police Department.

A PDF version of the UCPD alcohol permit application is available here.

Please Note: UCPD requires a minimum of seven (7) working days prior to the event to process the request.

Host Requirement

In order to get your permit approved you will need to identify a faculty or staff member who is of legal age that will be present at the event to ensure that no one under 21 years is served alcoholic beverages.

Is your event private or public?

If you are uncertain as to whether your event is public or private, please call Environment, Health & Safety at (510) 642-3073 for clarification.


An event that is open to a prescribed group only. Events such as recurring student group meetings, department functions, small conferences/workshops/lectures and commencement ceremonies, where participants and invited guests in attendance are members of a prescribed group. In general, most events within the department of History are considered private events.


An event at which the non-affiliated general public or anyone from the broad campus community may attend and purchase, or be given, food or beverages. Sporting events are the perfect example of public events.

An additional ABC permit will be required if your event is open to the General Public and/or if there are any fees charged in association with the event, because State law prohibits the unlicensed sale of alcoholic beverages. The campus has been advised by the State Department of Alcoholic Beverages Control that this prohibition precludes the charge of admission for any event at which alcoholic beverages are served or otherwise provided. Please note that the additional ABC permit process can take up to 3 weeks and requires a caterer who is licensed to serve alcohol.

Per California law, an ABC permit 218 or 221 is required whenever any one of the following conditions apply:

  1. The event is open to the public.
  2. Money is collected or charged (i.e. program fees, donations, fundraising).

State of California Department of Alcohol Beverage and Control Website

Your completed and UCPD-approved permit must be on display at your event(s) where alcohol is being served.

Food Permits

Please read the Special Event Safe Food Handling Practices guidelines.

The group or unit assumes responsibility for the proper preparation, transportation, display, and disposal of the food products as outlined below. If the group employs a licensed caterer to prepare the food, the group assumes the responsibility of being a sponsor and obtaining the necessary application information.

Recognized student groups or campus units must submit a permit application before providing food at an event open to the general PUBLIC (or campus community). A public event is one at which anyone from the campus community or non-affiliated public may attend and purchase, or be given, food or beverages.

A permit is not required for a private event at which only group members or specifically invited guests are in attendance, such as recurring student group meetings, department functions, and commencement ceremonies. If you are uncertain as to whether your event is public or private, please call Environment, Health & Safety at (510) 642-3073 for clarification.

Please Note: Applications should be received at least 14 days before the event date to allow for review and approval by EH&S. Approval of late applications is at the discretion of EH&S.

The approved permit must be displayed in a conspicuous location at the event.

Additional Considerations

Fire Safety Requirements

An Assembly Permit may be required to ensure the fire and life safety of the campus community.

Security Assessment

The UCPD Special Events Unit is responsible for approving major events or events requiring security personnel on campus. If you have any concerns about security for your event, fill out a security assessment form.

RSO/Non-Departmental Users
Major Events: 6 weeks prior to the event
All Other Events: at least 7 days prior to the event

Departmental Users
All events: at least 7 days prior to the event

Contacts for Permit Guidance

Amber Lawrence
History Event Coordinator
Phone: (510) 642-1488

UC Police Department (UCPD)
Phone: (510) 643-0795
Fax: (510) 643-8224

Environment, Health & Safety
Phone: (510) 642-3073