The minor requires a total of six history courses, one of which must be a lower-division course and five of which must be upper-division courses. Among the upper-division courses, students must have at least one course in two of the following historical fields:
- Latin America
- Near and Middle East
- North America
- Comparative (e.g. History of Science, Transnational/Global History, the History of Human Rights, etc.)
Please note that new courses may be added to this list. If students have any questions about a history course not on this list they should consult with the minor advisor or one of the peer advisors.
Approved Courses by Field
1, 2, 3, 4A/B, 5, 6A/B, 7A/B, 8A/B, 10, 11, 12, 14, 30, and 39A/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J/K/L/M/T/U/V/W/X/Y/ZAfrica
100H, 103H, and 112B/CAsia
100F, 103F, 111A/B/C/D/C111B, 113A/B, 114A/B, 116A/B/C/D/G, 117A/C/D, 118A/B/C, and 119AEurope
100AP, 100B, 103B, 103C, 105A/B, 106A/B, 107, 149B, 150B, 155A/B, 156, 151A/B/C, 152A, C157, 158A/B/C/D, 159A/B, 162A/C, 164A/B/C, 165A/B/D, 166A/B/C, 167A/B/C/D, 168A, 169A, 170, 171A/B/C, 172, 173B/C, 174A/B, 178, 185A/B, and C194Latin America
100E, 103E, 140B, 141B, 142, 143, and 146Near & Middle East
100M, 103M, 108, 109A/B/C, and 177A/BNorth America
100AC, 100D, 103D, 120AC, 121B, 122AC, 123, 124A/B, 125A/B, 126A/B, 127AC, 128AC, 130/B, 131B, C132B, 133A/B, 134A/B, 135/B, 136/B/C/AC, 137AC, 138/T, C139B/C, and 154Comparative
100L, 100S, 100U, 103L, 103S, 103U, 104, 158D, 160, 162B, C175B, 180/T, 181B, 182A/AT, C182C (if taught by History), 183A, C184D, 186, C187, C188C, 190, C191, and C192Courses That Do Not Apply
R1B, 24, 84, 98, C196A/B/W, and 199, as well as courses that are not at least four units
Policies Regarding the Minor
- The lower-division course may be taken at a California community college. Only articulated courses will count. See assist.org for a full list of currently articulated courses.
- Students cannot meet the lower-division requirement through AP coursework.
- All five upper-division courses must be taken at Berkeley within the Department of History. The only exception is crosslisted courses. Students may elect to take courses crosslisted with Berkeley History courses from any offering department.
- Courses taken through EAP and other programs abroad will not be counted for the minor.
- All courses must be taken for a letter grade. An overall GPA of 2.0 is required in coursework applied to the minor. EXCEPTION: For students declaring the minor in Fall 2013, you may apply one previously completed (Summer 2013 or earlier) course taken P/NP towards the minor. For students declaring the minor in Spring 2014 or later, previously completed P/NP coursework will not be able to be applied towards the minor.
- Only one course may be used to satisfy both a minor and a major requirement.
- Only one course may be used to satisfy two minor programs' requirements.
- History majors may not complete a minor in history.
Declaring the History Minor
Students are welcome to submit the department's History Minor Application after they have completed at least one course that will be counted towards the minor. (Note: students are not required to submit the paperwork this early.) In addition to turning in the application, students who have taken their lower-division minor course elsewhere should provide an unofficial copy of transcript showing course that satisfies the minor and the grade received.
Completing the Minor
All students must submit a completed History Minor Application before the end of their penultimate semester at Berkeley (you may submit it anytime before then as well). L&S students must additionally submit a Completion of L&S Minorhttps://ls.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/minor.2019.pdf form at some point before finals week of the semester they graduate.