Faculty & Staff Resources

This section is a work in progress. For additional assistance, please contact a staff member for a referral to the appropriate campus resource.

Department Resources

Business and Finance

Find more information on our business and finance page.

Academic Personnel Leave


Sabbaticals are requested in the Spring semester for the following academic Fall/Spring terms. For inquires related to sabbatical credits or for more information regarding eligibility and/or the sabbatical application process, please contact the Academic Personnel Analyst at history-ap@berkeley.edu

Types of Sabbaticals

There are two types of sabbatical:

  • Regular sabbatical: Regular sabbatical leave provides salary at varying percentages of regular salary, depending on the amount of accrued sabbatical leave credit and option elected by the faculty member. A faculty on regular sabbatical leave is excused from all regular duties to focus on full-time research and/or study.

  • Sabbatical in Residence: Sabbatical leave in residence at the University may be granted to a faculty member who is eligible for a regular sabbatical and who, in addition to a program of research and/or study, will teach at the University of California. A faculty member on sabbatical leave in residence who meets this teaching requirement shall be freed from all other teaching obligations and from all committee and administrative work.

For the full policy, please reference the Academic Personnel Manual (APM)

For the sabbatical leaves form, please reference the Sabbatical Leave/Special Leave of Absence UPAY573-1

Seven Days Leave

Application for Leave of Seven Days or Fewer — A copy of your application will be sent to the Department Chair and Academic Personnel Coordinator.

Hiring & Human Resources

Berkeley Manual of Academic Personnel (BMAP) — Berkeley policies, processes, and practices concerning ladder-rank faculty.

Intent to Hire Form — Use this form when attempting to hire student assistant and graduate student researcher titles. Note that this is the first step in a four-step process, and work is not allowed to commence until the final step of hiring paperwork has been confirmed.

Visitor Policies for Faculty — Guidelines for visitor sponsors, length of appointments, letters of invitation, recent graduate non-paid appointments, and postdoc appointments.

Keys & Keycards

What should I do if I lost my office key?

First, you must make a Lost Key Report with UCPD. The report takes only a few minutes and can be made over the telephone at 510-642-6760. UCPD will give you a Lost Key Report case number, which you should then forward to History staff at history-admin@berkeley.edu. Department staff will then prepare a lockshop request for the key/re-key and include the report case number. The Lost Key Report must be made before UCPD will approve any key replacement service request.

What should I do if I lost my Cal1 ID card?

You are solely responsible for immediately reporting and deactivating a lost or stolen Cal1 Card. The most effective way of deactivating the card is to do so online by logging into your Cal1 account and selecting the "Lost Card" link in the sidebar — this option is available to you 24 hours every day of the week. If you do not have access to the internet when your card is lost or stolen, you may report the card lost in person at the Cal 1 Card Office or by calling 1-866-282-22278.

Please also report the loss immediately to History staff at history-admin@berkeley.edu. Once a card is reported missing, you assume no further liability for unauthorized activity on, or use of, your card.

A nonrefundable $25 fee will be incurred for the replacement of a lost Cal1 Card.

If your card was stolen, the replacement fee will be waived as long as you present the police report or case number at the time of requesting the replacement card. Please be advised that police reports should only be filed for actual theft circumstances and not when you have lost possession of your card and you think someone may have taken it.   

If your card is damaged, bring the damaged card to the Cal1 Card office and your card will be replaced at no cost; if you do not have the damaged card with you at the time of making the replacement request, the card will be considered lost and the replacement fee will apply. Please do not punch holes in your card or otherwise willfully damage it because the $25 replacement fee will be incurred if there is recurrence of willful damage.

Fee payment for replacing a lost Cal 1 Card can be made by credit card, cash, or check.

Facilities & Rooms

History Department Room Use Policies

Room & Venue Reservations

Funding Opportunities

Abraham D. Shepard Funds

Carl "Chip" W. Robertson Funds

Humanities Research Fellowship (HRF) and Mellon Project Grant (MPG) Funds

Townsend Funds

Faculty Support

Addressing a concern and getting help (via Office for Faculty Equity & Welfare)

Conflict Resolution: Faculty Ombudspersons (via the Academic Senate)

Mental Health 

University Health Services’ Getting Help for Students of Concern page

Mental Health Handbook for faculty, staff and GSIs (including Gold Folder)

Fall 2022 Instructor Resources

Diversity and Equity in the Classroom

Analyzing our Classrooms with Thomas M. Philip

Remote Instruction

Virtual Instruction: Privacy and Ethics

Research, Teaching and Learning’s “Keep Teaching” “Keep your teaching moving forward with new approaches, effective strategies and resources, and best practices to support remote learning” - has main sections on “Get Started,” “Get Equipped,” “Tools and Technology” and “Best Practices”

  • Remote Instruction Guide“Developed specifically for UC Berkeley instructors and GSIs, this guide serves as a resource on how to use your bCourses site as your virtual classroom, develop asynchronous instructional materials, foster student-to-student interaction, and reimagine assignments and exams for a remote format. The guide is provided in bCourses as a self-enrollment course.”

Disabled Students' Program

Supporting DSP students remotely
DSP, LOAs and accommodations for your students

Academic Senate’s “Best Practices for Remote Examinations”

Submitting Final Grades - Office of the Registrar